Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The song is true, it really is the most wonderful time of the year. Ok so Halloween is actually my most favorite time, but it barely wins out against Christmas. Unfortunately it's easy to get out of the holiday spirit and I found that out once I hit adulthood. When you're a boring old grown up Christmas doesn't quite hold the same appeal. You find yourself missing the good ol days of Christmases long long ago and wishing you could return to waiting for Santa and hoping you'd been good enough to get what you'd been wanting. Instead we find ourselves dealing with moody crowds and griping about how much we have to spend. Bah humbug.


Now here's where the magic came in for me. Once I had a child of my very own, one who believed in the impossible, it all came flooding back. I think this is true for most parents. You watch all the holiday cartoons and tear up when everyone sings around Charlie Brown's little Christmas tree that could. You make lots of yummy goodies, all for the sake of the season of course. You joyfully trim your tree while watching Hallmark Christmas movies and set out the decorations that remain so lovingly packed away for eleven long months. You count down the days till Santa arrives and are pretty sure even you may have heard Santa's sleigh bells on Christmas Eve. Every bit of Christmas is wonderous and all of the little loves of our lives deserve an extra hug for reminding us of the magic...and there's nothing this Harry Potter fan loves more than some magic.

3 comments:

  1. I heard bells last night, but I think it was in my head...
    I so agree, I feel old for not being super excited and gleeful for Christmas... but I know we'll have a great one anyway, especially watching our little guy opening presents and seeing all the lights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annnnd, you could be a writer! Well, I guess in a way you are, but you know what I mean. Don't expect anything that is "writer" material from my blog-I am way too "to the point!"

    ReplyDelete