The death of a pet is one of the worst things to go through. They become these little members of your family that you grow to love fiercly and they love you back with such unconditional love. I can understand why some people don't want pets, so they won't have to experience the pain that loss brings. That being said, I'd rather have all the love and joy I can get for the time we're granted.
Our Bearded Dragon, Bindi, died on Tuesday night. It was a normal night and Michael was working. I was sitting in the chair when suddenly this overwhelming need to hold Bindi took over. Now we made sure to hold her almost everyday, because she loved the attention...you wouldn't believe this unless you saw it, but it's true..but this feeling hit me out of left field. I picked her up, held her, and even took a pic on my cell to text to Michael. I let her soak as she did three times a week, but when I went to get her out something was wrong. She was making jerking movements and it suddenly hit me that she was dying. I grabbed her up and was trying anything I could to save her. It's a heartwrenching moment when you're holding your pet while they're slipping away. I'm thankful for the intuitive feeling that sent me to pick her up that night. The whole scenario reminded me of the night we lost Xena, which only worked to intensify the grief. Even though it was painful to watch Bindi take her last few breaths, I'm glad she wasn't alone.
I never thought I'd grow to love a lizard. It's true though that I did. I loved her and know in her own dragony way that she loved me right back.
She was a little sweetheart for sure. Seems strange her hugh aquarium is empty.
ReplyDelete